Flood warnings for UK as storm builds over Atlantic as reported by Steven Morris of the Guardian newspaper group.
Met Office issues severe weather warning – high speed winds and heavy rains to batter England, Wales and Northern Ireland
Monsoon in summer: more rain is on its way, the Met Office has warned.
Parts of the UK are braced for more flooding as another unseasonable Atlantic storm brought pounding rain and strong winds.
Overnight up to 60mm of rain – the average for the whole of a typical June – was expected to make life miserable in some parts of the country. Winds of up to 50mph were expected to batter the south-west of England.
The Environment Agency took the precaution of visiting 150 camping and caravan sites in south-west England to make sure owners had warned visitors of the storm. It also mobilised teams to check on flood defences, clear any river blockages and monitor river levels.
EA flood incident manager Katherine Evans said: “We would urge people to remain vigilant and prepare for flooding.”
The Met Office issued a severe weather warming for an area of mainland Britain from the tip of Cornwall to the north-west of England, expecting up to 40mm of rain to fall widely. It said it was possible up to 60mm could be seen in some parts of south-west England, as well as Wales and Northern Ireland.
The rain is expected to linger through Friday in northern England and southern Scotland. Elsewhere there may be bright spells but also the risk of more heavy showers.
Road experts said motorists should think carefully before undertaking journeys in the poor weather. Frank Saunders, chief forecaster at the Met Office, said: “The unsettled theme we have seen so far this month is set to continue with more wet and windy weather to come.”
Simon Sheldon-Wilson, director of traffic management at the Highways Agency, said: “We advise drivers to plan ahead before setting out. Allow extra time if conditions are poor or delay the journey if conditions are really severe.”
Two flood warnings – signalling that flooding was expected – in Buckinghamshire and Sussex — remained in place following the deluges earlier this week. The mop-up continued in mid and west Wales following the severe flooding in some places last weekend.
Tourism chiefs in Wales were keen to stress that the country was open for business. However hotels and attractions in many parts of western Britain were reporting that visitors were staying away, put off by the dreadful weather.